The Story of the Song: Our Roots Run Deep
The Story of the Song
July 18, 2017
5:30 PM – 9:30 PM
$48 per person
An authentic heritage music experience, offered exclusively for the group tour market. Hear the story behind the song in this intimate musical experience. Grammy Award Winners and Nashville Hall of Fame songwriters will share their stories and play their chart-topping country songs while you enjoy a dinner of authentic Appalachian cuisine. Ticket includes opening act, an evening with award-winning songwriters, and an authentic Appalachian dinner.
He’s the man behind some of the most beloved country music hits to come out of Nashville. Richard Leigh’s songs have been recorded by Ray Charles, Connie Francis, George Jones, The Dixie Chicks, Crystal Gayle, Don Williams, Tammy Wynette, Anne Murray, and even Mr. Perry Como, to name a few. He is a Grammy Award winner, a three-time Grammy nominee, and a member of the Nashville Songwriters Hall Of Fame since 1994.
In this very special evening, he’s joined on stage by fellow Hall of Fame songwriters for an intimate evening of stories, songs, laughter and memories.
Number 1 singles written or co-written by Richard Leigh:
- “I’ll Get Over You” Crystal Gayle;
- “Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue” Crystal Gayle;
- “The Greatest Man I Never Knew” Reba McEntire;
- “That’s Thing About Love” Don Williams;
- “Life’s Highway“ Steve Wariner;
- “Somewhere In My Broken Heart” Billy Dean;
- “Only Here For A Little While” Billy Dean;
- “Put Your Dreams Away” Mickey Gilley;
- “Come From The Heart” Kathy Mattea
Also Starring Even Stevens
Top hits written or co-written by Richard Leigh:
“When You’re In Love With A Beautiful Woman”
“I Love A Rainy Night” Eddie Rabbitt
“Love Will Turn You Around” Kenny Rogers
“Crazy In Love” Conway Twitty
“Black Coffee“ Lacy J Dalton
“Suspicions” Eddie Rabbitt
“Step By Step” Eddie Rabbitt
“Lovin ‘ Only Me” Ricky Skaggs
“Drivin’ My Life Away” Eddie Rabbit
Opening Act: The Loose Strings Band
Opening the evening is the all girls band from Galax, Virginia, Loose Strings. They’re known in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and beyond for a blend of tight vocal harmonies and sweet rhythms. With gospel, bluegrass, country and more it is sure to have something pleasing to every ear in the audience.
Your Exclusive Dinner & a Show: Appalachian Treats for Your Ears and Tastebuds
Contact the Abingdon CVB for more great itinerary ideas. The beautiful brick sidewalks of Abingdon offer art, crafts, history and unique shopping and dining. Let our staff make personalized recommendations for your group.
Contact: Monica Hall (276) 676-2282
Country Inn & Suites
Rate discounted for multi-night stay
$110+ tax, one night stay,
$105+ tax, two night stay,
$99+ tax, three night stay.
Includes hot breakfast served on china plates.
Contact Ashley Sword 276-676-2829
Rate: $89, up to 3 people per room
Hot buffet breakfast
Contact: Kate Michel 276-698-3040
Rate: $114 up to 3 people per room
Hot buffet breakfast
Contact Kate Michel 276-698-3040
Martha Washington Inn & Spa
Rate: Double $175 King $195
Includes continental breakfast, complimentary
valet and bellman service and port toast at the front desk.
Contact Mallory Web 276-619-5263
Quality Inn & Suites
Rate: $96 Standard Room /$110 Suite
Rooms based on Double Occupancy and includes a full southern hot breakfast.
Contact Cindy Cregger 276-676-9090
America’s Best Value Inn
Rate: $59.95 Double Occupancy ($49.95 Single)
Includes breakfast waffles, biscuits & gravy,
muffins/cinnamon rolls,Yogurt, boiled eggs, cereal, grits, fruit, coffee, milk and tea.
Contact Christin Hayton 276-628-7131
Rate: Standard Room $120
Contact ACVB Monica Hall 276-492-2235
New property opening February 2017
Let us make it easy for you!
We can help plan your group’s visit and we offer the following complimentary services:
- Browse one of our group itineraries, or contact us for a customized itinerary. Regional itinerary planning available for some groups (call to see if you qualify).
- Schedule a free hop-on tour guide to welcome your group to Abingdon and make your visit run smoothly.
- Send us your lodging needs; we’ll distribute an RFP to our lodging partners and give you several options for the best fit. Click here for a full list of hotels.
- Arrange an advance site visit or familiarity tour and let us introduce you to our lodging, dining, and attraction partners
- Request consumer brochures, maps, dining and shopping guides, and information about bus parking locations
- Create one of a kind experiences for your guests, like private tours, live demonstrations, music or tastings
For personal assistance, contact Monica Hall, Group Sales Manager at (276) 492-2235 or firstname.lastname@example.org.