Sinking Spring Cemetery
Sinking Spring Cemetery was established as the burial ground for members of the Sinking Spring Presbyterian Church, which was organized in 1773. The members of the congregation, led by Rev. Charles Cummings, built their log church house and laid out the cemetery on 11 acres. Burials over the past 200 years reflect the long history of Washington County.
On the same parcel of land, but separated by Russell Road, is the burial place of the enslaved people owned by these early Presbyterians, and also free people of color.
Both cemeteries are now owned by the Town of Abingdon, which welcomes visitors to the grounds during daylight hours.
Pick up a brochure at the Visitors Center, 335 Cummings Street, and take a self-guided walking tour of the cemetery.